I chased a supercell across western Kentucky on May 16, 2025. This storm formed in southwestern Missouri and tracked east all the way to southcentral/southeastern Kentucky, which is 500+ miles during the lifespan of the supercell. Unfortunately, it produced a significant tornado that impacted London and Somerset resulting in ~20 fatalities. I gave up the storm at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, as road networks and jungle-like vegetation made additional chasing essentially futile. During the multi-hour period I was on the storm, I sampled the updraft base multiple times, as well as hail cores that produce large to very large diameter stones. No rotation at the base of the storm was observed, and in fact, every time the storm appeared to take on a classic cyclonic reflectivity gradient in radar including a hook echo it would fizzle out the next volume scan, but for reasons unkown to me, the storm transitioned into a significantly tornadic phase several hours after I departed. No blog worthy pictures were taken, but some archived date is posted below.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Family Adventures in the Rockies // Grottos Ice Caves/Mount Sherman
My mom and nephew made a trip to central Colorado during early summer and we all had a blast hiking a couple of unique geological features,...
-
Cindy McCloskey, Ariel Cohen, Kim Klockow, and myself (Jonathan Garner) went climbing at Rocktown Gym in Oklahoma City on June 20th. The fo...
-
After working a midnight shift, I slept 3-4 hours, woke up at 130 pm, did a data check, dropped off a rent check, and then headed north on ...
-
Anca and I hit up different spots on the San Andreas Fault as we made our way south from Point Reyes to Parkfield, CA. Near Point Reyes, we ...






No comments:
Post a Comment