Monday, May 05, 2014

Mount Juneau

Springtime in Juneau, AK is amazing...clear skies, warm temperatures (relatively speaking), and calm winds...perfect for mountain climbing.  And thus, I felt obliged to take advantage of a glorious Monday afternoon by climbing Mount Juneau.  The route is steep as it departs Perseverance Trail, then levels out about half way up the mountain.  Snow melt is in full force and there were numerous stream crossings.  One in particular was pretty sketchy...a large slab of snow covered a large/steep cascading stream, and it required a bit of faith that the slab wouldn't break loose while crossing it.  After the stream crossings, I then began picking my own route up steep snow slopes.  The snow was wet and isothermal, and avalanche risk appeared minimal.  The summit came into view about an hour later, and soon I was at the top.  The views were glorious, as usual.  The descent back down Juneau was quick...I think I took ~3 hours to get to the top, but only 1.5 hours to get back to my truck.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...