Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ruby Beach - Olympic National Park - Western Washington

After an evening photographing downtown Seattle, Denise Carl and myself traveled west the next day to the shoreline of the Olympic Peninsula.  A friend from work visited Ruby Beach recently, and the pictures he brought back highlighted the seascape photography potential of this area perfectly, thus I was excited to explore the area.  I shot the beach and numerous seastacks from mid-afternoon through sunset.  It was cloudy and misty the entire time, so contrast was awful.  Still, a few of my pictures with strong foreground subjects turned out reasonably well.  The swells were huge this day, with waves crashing up to the edge of the shoreline.  One particularly large wave grabbed my backpack, which was full of camera gear, and started dragging it out to sea.  Luckily, Denise was on top of the situation and grabbed the pack in the nick of time, averting a dramatic demise to my gear.

No comments:

4/2/2024 Storm Chase: Southeastern Indiana/Far Northern Kentucky

 I drove from Fort Wayne, Indiana south to southeastern Indiana on 4/2/2024 and managed to position myself east of a cluster of messy pseudo...