Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Aurora Rings in the New Year

An active vivid aurora occurred over Juneau a few days after the new year.  I was working a midnight shift at the NWS office.  A coworker went outside to take a weather observation, and then came back inside stating that the northern lights were on display.  I subsequently spent the rest of the night going outdoors to photograph the aurora in between updates to the local weather forecast.  The aurora continued after my shift was over, so I headed out to Mendenhall Glacier and continued photography until the sun started to brighten the sky in the southern horizon.  A full moon added further drama to the surrounding landscape.

No comments:

4/2/2024 Storm Chase: Southeastern Indiana/Far Northern Kentucky

 I drove from Fort Wayne, Indiana south to southeastern Indiana on 4/2/2024 and managed to position myself east of a cluster of messy pseudo...