Monday, February 06, 2017

Early 2017 Hikes in Northern California

Breaks from work roll around every 4 to 6 days lately, and I've made the most of my time off.  I headed north from Eureka to Prairie Creek Redwoods Park during mid January and hiked the Zig Zag Loop #1.  It is an excellent trail, the trees are tall and majestic, and elk can be viewed grazing in a large clearing near the visitor center. I've also hiked local beaches, ranging from Fleener Creek in the Lost Coast Headlands, to Centerville Beach near Ferndale (which is a Victorian era town begging me to spend time photographing). Finally, I went with a couple of friends to Redwoods National Park, and we hiked out to an old homestead (Lyons Ranch). It is a peaceful relic from the past, it is secluded, and it is surrounded by beautiful grass covered hills speckled with groves of trees. Lyons Ranch will be worth revisiting and photographing in different kinds of light.

Prairie Creek Redwoods
Prairie Creek Redwoods
Centerville Beach
Lyons Ranch
Lyons Ranch

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...