Thursday, July 05, 2018

Punta Gorda Lighthouse

I hiked out to the Punta Gorda Lighthouse during June 2018. The lighthouse was operational between 1912 and 1951, and has survived countless Pacific storms, as well as tectonic events such as the January 1923 magnitude 7.2 earthquake (see here for additional information on the lighthouse: http://lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=63).

During my trip, I was greeted by a large colony of sea lions upon arrival to the lighthouse.  They didn't mind my presence at all, as they were preoccupied with throwing sand across their backs in order to block damaging UV rays as they sunned along the beach. Pictures of the lighthouse, sea lions, and a rusted navigational buoy are below.

Rusted navigational buoy.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...