Sunday, October 04, 2020

Quandary Peak

I hiked Quandary Peak (14,265 feet) during early October. This mountain is likely one of the easiest 14'ers in Colorado...the trailhead starts off at an elevation of 10,850 feet, and the roundtrip mileage is less than 7 miles. I did it in less than 5 hours...I might have finished in 4 hours, but started the hike out with a relatively slow hiking partner who ran out of gas shortly after treeline. Past treeline, I hit a short flat area that led to the final 1000 feet of climbing up a shoulder that gives access to the summit. I estimated there were at least 100 people lounging at the top...possibly more. I've never seen so many people hiking the same mountain, except perhaps Longs Peak. I shouldn't have been surprised though...Quandary is an easy hike located close to Denver, the weather was perfect, it was a weekend, and winter was fast approaching. I can't blame anyone for getting out into nature and away from the mask-wearing madness for a few hours.

Google map location is here.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...