Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Thor's Well // Devil's Churn // Cape Perpetua - Oregon

 I took on a photography mission to capture Thor's Well on October 30th. Unfortunately, optimal Thor's Well conditions occur at high tide...more specifically a high tide ranging from around 5 to 7 feet. Furthermore, for long-exposure shots those conditions have to be met as the sky gets dark. That criteria wouldn't occur until 2am, which was okay, because the moon was nearly full, so there would be light illuminating the scene. On the way from Eureka to Yachats, Oregon...the town near Thor's Well, I stopped in Brookings, OR and got a nice long-exposure of water flowing around a rock outcrop at sunrise. I also worked the Devil's Churn area near Cape Perpetua during the sunset hours. I messed around a bit too much and didn't get a good shot until just after the sun set. The colors in the sky and leading lines in the water were great. I then got a few hours of sleep in Yachats, woke up right before midnight, and drove out to Thor's Well. Navigating the sharp lava rock and pools of water by moonlight was not easy (my feet got very wet), but I managed. I then worked the Well for a few hours and got a couple of keepers. Those pictures and other seascapes are posted here.







No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...