Monday, July 30, 2012

Stevens Gulch - Grays/Torreys Approach

Nancy Midden and myself departed West Chicago Creek campground at around 5-6 am on July 28th, headed west on I-70, and reached the Bakerville, CO exit soon after.  We then experienced the epic drive up FR189, but decided to park halfway up before the real fun began.  My truck has decent clearance, but the ruts beyond our parking spot were some of the deepest, gnarliest I've ever seen...so I was glad not to put my vehicle through that kind of test.  After hiking uphill for a mile or so, we reached the Grays Peak trailhead, and joined hundreds of others toward the 14,270 foot summit.  Just above 12,000 feet, we decided to take a break in a meadow, and sat next to a shallow stream while watching other hikers pass by.  We then got back up, ascended a couple hundred additional feet, and ended up sitting on the side of a grass covered moraine.  What was intended to be a short break turned into a nap.  The goal of summiting became secondary in importance...instead, we were satisfied with the experience of sitting under the warming sun, relaxing beneath the surrounding peaks, and gazing up at the deep blue sky.  After an hour, a shower began to develop, so we headed back to the truck, and then drove to Vail for lunch.



No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...