Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Oregon Waterfalls, Gerlach, Nevada, and a Mount Shasta Sunrise - Early May 2017

I drove north with Jenny Norris to photograph Toketee and Salt Creek Falls in southern Oregon during early May 2017.  Unfortunately, clouds dissipated and the falls were bathed in bright sunlight. The contrast was unworkable, so we drove back south, eventually passing Mount Shasta.  We decided to check out Hedge Creek Falls.  The waterfall is pretty neat, but again, sunlight made photography tough.  After resting for 24 hours, I decided to drive east to Gerlach, NV, best known for the Burning Man festival that takes place during late August.  The area also features geothermal activity, including Fly Geyser.  Unbeknown to me, the Burning Man Project purchased the Fly Geyser property, and they have cut off access to the public (read here for more information).

So...another photography trip ruined due to circumstances beyond my control.  However, I did take a couple of landscape pictures of a train crossing that seemed to turn out alright (this one, and this one, are my favorites from the trip), and I witnessed a great sunrise over Mount Shasta during the drive back home...so, the week wasn't a complete bust.

Hedge Creek Falls - located north of Redding, CA along I-5.
A flyer posted by the Burning Man Project letting me know that my 5 hour drive was a waste of time.
A train crossing located in Gerlach, NV.
Gerlach, NV.
A playa in the Black Rock Desert that floods on a seasonal basis during spring.
Sunrise over Mount Shasta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you know, access to Fly was not available under the previous owners either.

Jonathan Garner said...

Thanks for that clarification.

4/2/2024 Storm Chase: Southeastern Indiana/Far Northern Kentucky

 I drove from Fort Wayne, Indiana south to southeastern Indiana on 4/2/2024 and managed to position myself east of a cluster of messy pseudo...