Saturday, May 01, 2021

Yearly Salmon Mountain Hike

A day off on May 1st gave me an opportunity to hike Salmon Mountain, a peak I've come to enjoy hiking during early spring when the snow pack is deep in the upper elevations of the Klamath Mountains. As is typical of early May, I had to park about a half mile from the Salmon Mountain trailhead due to very deep snow covering the road I was driving on. I made my way through dense forest, after passing the trailhead, and grazed upon a landscape modified by wildfire (or a prescribed burn) occurring during the past year. The last half mile to the summit was a fun slog up steep snow covered slopes. Dense clouds broke as I reached the top and I was given peaks at the surrounding mountains in between cloud breaks. The descent back to my truck was non-eventful, with the exception of a brief slide down a snow slope. Once again, another great inaugural mountain climb on Salmon Mountain.

Google map location is here.


No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...