Saturday, May 15, 2021

Long Canyon to Deer Creek Pass

 I hiked Long Canyon for the second time in two years. The route was as scenic as ever, with mountain spires towering over both sides of a U-shaped valley located above treeline. However, one major difference from two years ago was a stark lack of snowpack. I eventually encountered a solid snowfield at the pass, but the ground was mainly dry in the valley below. This speaks to the emerging drought and water crisis that California will be facing during the coming summer and fall. Otherwise, I lost the trail due to snow during the last half mile to the pass. I bushwhacked straight up a rotten slope of loose rock and dirt, and then traversed a long snowfield that led to my destination, Deer Creek Pass. On the way back down, I followed day-old footsteps that helped me regain the true route down the pass. I had fun plunging down snow slopes for half an hour. I then exited the snow and took the familiar trail back to my truck. This was approximately a ten mile hike, starting at an elevation of 3800 feet and ending at around 7500 feet.

Google map location is here.


No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...