Thursday, September 16, 2021

Mount Olympus - Wasatch Range

 I summited my first peak in the Wasatch Range on September 15th. Mount Olympus rises above the Wasatch Fault south of downtown Salt Lake City. The trail started steep up a fault scarp at the Olympus trailhead parking lot, and rarely did the steep relent during the remainder of my hike. Views of the city were abundant throughout most of the hike, and after switchbacking up along canyon walls, a bench-like-area was encountered perhaps 300'ish feet below the summit. The last pitch to the summit involved a few class 3 moves...but nothing is too exposed, and the scrambling was a welcomed challenge. A small bouldery ridge then leads to the summit proper. My watch indicated around 4000 feet of climbing, which I completed in around 2.5 hours.

Google map location is here.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...