Sunday, January 14, 2024

Underground Railroad // Pioneer Home // Balbec, Indiana

 Amy Schreiber and myself braved brutal arctic air plus wind and headed south to Balbec, Indiana in order to visit a historic pioneer home that was a stop on the Underground Railroad. I spent 15 minutes max outdoors in the brutal cold, and I can only imagine the misery many endured in similar cold but with few if any modern options for warmth. The cabin that hosted many during their journey north to Canada was stark, wooden floors, a fire place, and an upstairs loft. There was an old water pump outdoors, a couple of ancient looking trees, and a historic marker within view of Highway 1. The map location of the site is here.









No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...