Saturday, February 17, 2024

Sedona Red Rock Caves

I had the chance to explore a series of caves etched into the red rock buttes surrounding Sedona, AZ during January 2024. In terms of cave epicness, the Subway Cave was at the top of my list. The cave requires a couple of miles of easy hiking starting from the Boynton Canyon Trailhead. Upon arrival, you have the option to scramble up a slick slab of rock that takes you into the heart of the cave, or you can bypass the scramble and walk along the side of a cliff that also gives access to the interior portion of the cave. I did the slick rock scramble up, which was easy, and then did the downclimb, which was not so easy. Nevertheless, I had the full Subway Cave experience, which included adjacent ancient cliff dwellings etched into the side of steep canyon walls. View the map location for the Subway Cave here.

Second on my list was Soldiers Pass Cave, which involved an easier hike and scramble. The cave itself consisted of a long chamber that was slit down the middle by a giant vertical crack. It was neat, and I appreciated the small natural window that gave a view of the outside surrounding terrain. The last cave I visited was the Birthing Cave. Not much to say about this one. Pretty unremarkable, but still a nice hike and good view of the surrounding desert.












No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...