Sunday, September 01, 2013

Lake Powell and Glen Canyon

I camped along the shore of Lake Powell at the Lone Rock campgrounds on August 26th/27th.  Rich moisture (relatively speaking) was being drawn northward from a tropical storm located near the Baja Peninsula, which yielded heavy thunderstorms during my visit to the area.  After enduring an epic night of lightning and torrential rain (which soaked all of my belongings not stored inside my truck), I woke up to clear skies and an incredible sunrise.  I was planning on touring Antelope Canyon (located near Page, AZ) on the 27th, and then hiking Buckskin Gulch the next day, but the heavy rain flooded all of the slot canyons, and I salvaged my visit by spending the day photographing Lake Powell and Glen Canyon.

Sunrise over Lake Powell, viewed from the Lone Rock campgrounds.
Lone Rock.
Storm developing north of Lake Powell.
Horseshoe Bend.  The Colorado River is located 1000 feet below the  canyon rim.
Glen Canyon Dam.
Glen Canyon.
Glen Canyon Dam.
Glen Canyon Dam visitor center and Glen Canyon Dam Bridge.
Lake Powell.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...