Sunday, September 01, 2013

Humphreys Peak - Arizona

I hiked to the top of Humphreys Peak on August 25th, which is located near Flagstaff, AZ.  This is an ultra prominence peak (6000+ feet), but luckily the trailhead starts at 9300 feet, which leaves only 3300 feet to ascend over roughly 4.75 miles.  The trail below treeline is excellent and not too steep.  Above treeline, basically beyond the col located between Humphreys and Agassiz Peak, the trail turns north and becomes more loose...but still nothing too difficult. The route beyond the col tends to stay west of the ridgeline, and also ascends several false summits, which can lead to some discouragement.  I started the hike at 2am, in order to beat stormy weather that was expected to arrive later in the day.  I reached the top at around 530am, surrounded by layers of clouds.  I spent around 15 minutes on the summit and then headed back down.  Once below treeline again, I started to encounter other groups of people hiking up.  A persistent drizzle turned to a steady moderate rain as I approached the end of the descent, and I was a wet, muddy, miserable mess by the time I reached my car at 830am.


No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...