Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Castle Crags State Park and Humboldt County Highpoint

- Castle Crags State Park -

Summer heat has melted off the winter snows across most of the northern California mountains; which means I need to get out and hike.  I did just that during the past month, starting with Castle Crags State Park, which is located about an hour north of Redding, CA.  There are two options for starting this hike; the shorter of the two options starts at the Vista Point parking area, the second starts near the park entrance, and connects up with the Vista Point trail via the Crags Trail.  I went with the longer option number two, and doubled my challenge by hauling all my camera gear plus tripod to the end of the trail.  The hike wasn't too long or too steep, but unwisely, I didn't bring enough water, and the dry California heat was debilitating during the last couple of miles back to my car.  Nevertheless, the scenery is spectacular after exiting the valley forests.  The views of Mount Shasta were impressive, and I got my monies worth of sheer granite craginess at the end of the trail.


- Salmon Mountain, Humboldt County Highpoint -

During mid July, I hiked Salmon Mountain with a coworker and his wife.  Salmon Mountain, at an elevation above 6000 feet, is the highest point in Humboldt County California.  This was another hike that generally ascended gradually up the mountain.  The steepest portion of the route was encountered during the last half mile, when we picked a spot to go off trail and find a brush-free route to the summit.  The views at the top did not disappoint...in fact, we could even see Mount Shasta off in the distant northeast horizon.  This is a great hike that is somewhat off the beaten path, but definitely worth the effort to experience.

No comments:

Deadly Ohio Tornado: 14 March 2024

 A tornadic supercell initiated off of a cold front in western Ohio during the evening of 14 March 2024 and caused EF3 damage as well as thr...