Sunday, August 11, 2019

Seven Up Peak - Trinity Alps

I summited Seven Up Peak in the Trinity Alps on August 11th. The hike to Granite Lake took 2 hours, and then I ascended up a second basin that was very scenic. I reached a high pass by my third hour of hiking, and then traversed along the west face of Seven Up for a bit before going directly up toward the summit. The ascent was a long wearisome struggle the entire way due to the incredible steepness of the slope combined with loose rock and dirt. Nevertheless the effort paid off and I reached the top at around midday. After a rest, I decided to head down via the east face of Seven Up. That was a mistake...I spent the next hour sliding, falling, skidding, and bushwhacking...it was a miserable experience. Needless to say I was happy to finally reach the trail that took me back down past Granite Lake and toward Swift Creek. Unfortunately a hornets nest awoke as I approached Swift Creek and I was swarmed and stung repeatedly on my legs and back. I swatted the hornets away and ran; and luckily the hornets gave up the chase. A couple ahead of me also got stung and they graciously gave me a Benadryl which helped alleviate pain and swelling.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...