Friday, May 17, 2019

Horse Mountain Creek - The King Range

On May 17th, I hiked 2 miles north from Shelter Cove, CA, and then headed 1500 feet up into the King Range over the course of an additional two-or-so miles. This is a really beautiful hike. Waves are constantly crashing along the coast; 4000 foot mountains rise straight up out of the sea on the northern horizon; and the ascent up into the hills is within lush forest, cascading streams, and a deep gorge dropping steeply off to the side of the trail. On my return to Shelter Cove, I investigated the San Andreas Fault, which the USGS shows running approximately through the Black Sand Beach parking area. Apparently the fault ruptured in this area during the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. There is clearly a change in rock type across the fault zone. I could only imagine what it would be like to stand on that beach during a future quake.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...