Saturday, May 11, 2019

Salmon Mountain - Mid Spring 2019

This is the third time I've hiked Salmon Mountain--once every year I've lived in California. However, today was the first time I did the mountain when it was loaded with snow. Actually, most of the lower slopes have melted off by this point...though I did have to hike a quarter mile up the road leading to the trailhead due to random four foot drifts covering the route--I wasn't going to chance it even in a truck with 4-wheel drive.

The standard route to the summit wraps around the west side of the mountain, then ascends up the broad south face, followed by a traverse along a narrow ridge to the summit. However, I lost the trail during the last mile of the hike due to deepening snow, and ended up following the north ridge that leads to the summit. It was steep; loaded with deep firm snow; and included a few moves over rock outcrops--but the views from the ridge leading to the summit were great...lot's of air immediately to the left of my feet. The day was glorious; the sun was blazing; Mount Shasta dominated the eastern horizon; and the Klamath Mountains were all decked in late season snow. Pictures are below:

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...