Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Canyonlands: Gooseberry Trail; Shafer Canyon Road; plus Dead Horse Point

Carly and I hiked Gooseberry Trail in Canyonlands National Park during late July. The trail leading away from the trailhead parking lot quickly begins a steep descent down the side of a 1000+ foot canyon wall. There is mild exposure along the way, but nothing horrifying; and numerous switchbacks help ease the pain on the quads. At the base of the canyon headwall, the trail meanders another mile to the rim of a second tier of canyon. Carly and I re-energized next to a 100 foot drop and then made our way back towards the initial headwall. The ascent back up the canyon was grueling for me due to the heat, resulting in numerous rest-stops at every rock or tree that provided shade. However, another deadly menace lurked beneath our feet as we approached the top of the canyon. I stepped over a rock, and Carly was about to do the same, but then paused and asked me if I heard a rattle. I didn't hear it, but she insisted it was there. Carly then peered under the rock I had just stepped over and spotted a juvenile rattlesnake. We took some pictures of the rattlesnake, and then pondered how lucky we were not to be struck as we finished off the hike.

Next, after a brief stop at Mesa Arch, we descended down Shafer Canyon Road, which hugs the side of the canyon, thousands of feet above the base. I let Carly have the honors of driving this road that became progressively more treacherous with each passing mile. We made it, and my truck survived the test. Then, later in the evening, after dinner, Carly and I drove out to Dead Horse Point, watching a setting sun cast long shadows across the expansive canyons below our feet. It was a great way to end a long day of adventure.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...