Monday, July 27, 2020

Ruby Mountains - The Great Salt Lake - Park City, Utah

I drove from Eureka, CA to Elko, NV on August 23rd, and then explored the Ruby Mountains near Elko on the 24th. This mountain range was heavily glaciated in the not so distant past, evident by the broad 12 mile long U-shaped valley that I drove, as well as the cirques hanging beneath the peaks and ridges that lined both sides of the valley. This area seems loaded with great trails, some that I hope to explore in the future.

After the Ruby Mountains, I drove east into Utah, and crossed the Bonneville Salt Flats. A flat expanse of white surrounded both sides of I-80 for tens of miles leading to distant desert mountains. After exiting the flats, I soon arrived at the Great Salt Lake, another geological feature that I have only seen from an airplane. I hung out on the rocky shoreline that protects a boat dock at Great Salt Lake State Park, making sure to not get too close to the giant spiders that were taking refuge within every gap between the rocks. 

After staring across the salt lake and distant mountains for an hour or two, I drove over to the Salt Lake City Airport and picked up Carly Kovacik. We then made a quick drive over the Wasatch Mountains and had dinner in Park City, Utah. There is so much wealth in that town! It was fun...the beer and food was good, and I enjoyed strolling through downtown looking for magnets to add to my refrigerator collection. After our evening in Park City, Carly and I then drove four hours to Moab, Utah.

Ruby Mountains, NV.

No comments:

First Flight // Sweet Aviation // Fort Wayne, Indiana

 I participated in a discovery flight with Sweet Aviation during late April. The flight went flawless thanks to my awesome instructor Austin...