Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Golden Canyon/Gower Gulch Loop - Death Valley

A popular hike in Death Valley is the Golden Canyon/Gower Gulch Loop, which is a 5-6 mile hike that you can start at either the Badwater Road trailhead, or the Route 190 trailhead (map here). I started from Badwater Road, hiked a half mile south, and then entered Gower Gulch. The Gulch was about what you would expect...steep sidewalls, a couple of small dry falls, and views that increasingly remind you of, perhaps, the planet Tatooine in Star Wars...which in fact was partially filmed here (click here). After exiting the Gulch, I entered an area of badlands that led me to the popular photography spot at Zabriskie Point. I then backtracked across the badlands and connected with the final part of the loop that leads through Golden Canyon. During this final section, I passed Manly Beacon and the surrounding views of an incredibly eroded landscape, which were the highlight of this hike.

View from Zabriskie Point.
View from Zabriskie Point.
Manly Beacon.
Manly Beacon.
View from Manly Beacon.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...