Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Sidewinder Canyon - Death Valley

Sidewinder Canyon is a moderately long narrow canyon located off Badwater Road, several ten's of miles south of Furnace Creek, CA. I hiked this canyon back in 2014, but mistakenly explored several adjacent canyons, thinking they were Sidewinder Canyon. By the time I found the true Sidewinder Canyon, I was too tired to walk through the slot canyons that Sidewinder Canyon is famous for. So, here is a map, and note that Sindwinder Canyon is southwest of the gravel pit parking lot. I picked the right canyon this time, and made my way through and up the second of three slot canyons, eventually ascending around 500 feet up to the rim of the primary gorge. The valley and mountains were lit up in reddish-orange morning sunlight. My timing couldn't have been better. I then worked my way farther up Sidewinder Canyon, and entered a third slot. This one displayed more dramatic erosional features, but also dead-ended at a tall dry-falls, which I could have climbed up, but admittedly would have been a bit too freaked out to climb back down. So, I exited the slot, hiked another mile or so up Sidewinder, and then called it good.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...