Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Grotto Canyon - Death Valley

Grotto Canyon is located relatively close to Stovepipe Wells, and in addition, there is gravel road that will lead you to the mouth of the canyon in no time flat. Unfortunately, I initially didn't know about the road, and thus slogged a couple of miles up a never ending and always ascending alluvial fan...walking on stream-bed gravel for miles isn't fun! I finally entered the canyon, which I can't say was all that remarkable, at least at first. After hiking a mile up-canyon, I encountered a narrow slot followed by an 8 foot dry-fall. Several Chinese tourists were attempting to scale that feature, and I was preparing to do the same. Then I remembered reading about a side-route that bypasses the fall. So I backtracked and found the alternate route, which led me up another mile or so of so-so scenery...although I did climb up a couple of fun, albeit short, class 3-4 falls.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...