Sunday, December 23, 2018

Skunk Cabbage Coastal Trail - Redwood National Park

This California trail is the most similar to Southeast Alaska I've encountered so far in terms of vegetation, wetness, terrain, and sketchiness. The first 2.5 miles traverses through beautiful forest, ferns, and moss, and the mist swirling through the trees brought back memories of Juneau. Then the trail descends 1000 feet to the ocean, and given it was December, the trail was muddy, wet, and slick...again just like Juneau. I reached the beach and was going to hike 2 more miles along the sand, but the waves were very aggressive this day. So I hung back and decided to film the wave action from a vantage point 3 feet up a bluff. All of a sudden a very energetic wave surged towards me, and I instantly had to dive uphill to grab a bush so as to not be drug out to sea. That wave must have climbed 8 feet up the bluff...luckily I was not filming from the sand, otherwise this hike might have had a sad ending. Needless to say I was soaking wet and 3 miles of hiking awaited me...the video of the sneaker wave was worth it though...see video scrolling half-way down below.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...