Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Fall Canyon - Death Valley

I drove 3 miles up the Titus Canyon Road, parked at the trailhead, and then realized I had a dilemma. Titus Canyon, just steps away, looked awe inspiring and beckoned me to enter. However, I saw that the trail-info-sign showed a second option, Fall Canyon, which required a half mile hike across desolate scrub land. The sign also mentioned that the canyon occurs on a fault. That was enough to convince me...I headed for Fall Canyon (see map here).

My choice was a wise one. Fall Canyon is one of the premiere canyons in Death Valley. The sidewalls are at all times hundreds, if not a thousand feet up into the air. And evidence of fault motion, rock folding, and mountain building was around every corner (see this site for an example). My head was constantly tilted skyward with mouth slightly gaping...this canyon is a truly special place...you must hike it if you visit Death Valley.

After a little more than 3 miles, I encountered a 25 foot dry fall. There was no chance of getting past this obstacle. So I turned back. But the light was becoming fantastic as the sun glowed back and forth against the canyon walls, and pictures turned out great despite using a tiny little iPhone camera.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...