Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Mosaic Canyon - Death Valley

My final day of hiking in Death Valley started off with Mosaic Canyon. The entrance to this canyon can also be accessed via a dirt road. However, the NPS was installing a new water storage tank, and they decided to place the tank beneath the road so that they wouldn't disturb the naturally occurring gravel located next to the man made gravel. So I had to walk 2.4 miles to the trailhead. And again, it was a grinding uphill slog. Thankfully, Mosaic Canyon rewarded me for the effort. The canyon features marble walls that almost immediately begin to constrict as I went up-canyon. The tall narrow slick-rock-like marble then opens up into an amphitheater like section, where mountains rise thousands of feet up into the air. Continuing up-canyon, I eventually encountered a section blocked by large boulders. After a bit of searching, I found an easy climb through this section. Unfortunately, I quickly ran into multiple dry falls that possessed few if any hand and foot-holds for climbing. I managed to make it up a few, and probably would have kept on going up-canyon if I were hiking with someone else. That wasn't the case, so I turned back.

No comments:

Storm Chase // 16 April 2024 // Southeast Iowa Tornadic Supercell

 I chased southern Iowa on April 16th and was rewarded with an intense EF2 producing tornadic supercell west of Burlington, IA. I departed F...